MCMTC wishes MATRADE, together with their delivery partner, Deloitte, congratulations on their successful Kick-Off Event in welcoming the new Mid-Tier Companies Development Program (MTCDP) Wave 9 Batch which was held at MATRADE Hall, Level 3 at Menara MATRADE on 20 March 2023 (Monday).
Datuk Mohd Mustafa Abdul Aziz, Chief Executive Officer of MATRADE, gave the Opening Remarks followed with Market Updates by Deloitte. Two MTCDP Alumni Members who are also MCMTC members were invited to speak as Panelists during the Fireside Chat: Powering Southeast Asia Exports. They were
· Mr Patrick Sim, Managing Director Secret Recipe, Council Member MCMTC
· Mr Chu Chee Seng, Managing Director Vepro Group, Council Member MCMTC
With Encik Azhar Hussin, Executive Director, Deloitte Consulting Southeast Asia as the Moderator, the other Panelist was Encik Zulfiqar Zainuddin (Executive Director, Deloitte Consulting Southeast Asia) who shared on market updates.
Mr Patrick Sim gave the following pointers on how Secret Recipe manage their Master Franchise business model and challenges post-Covid:
* Choose good financially strong partners who have their existing F&B network. For those who are not in F&B but have a strong retail presence, their partners will employ the right Talents to manage their business.
* Learn to understand their local problems, reach out and overcome language barriers by trying to adapt to their local culture.
* Support in terms of product development and trust the franchisees to run their business
* Join MCMTC for support and assistance in developing the business further
Mr Chu explained why they chose Indonesia as their first export country back in 2008 when they were able to introduce machineries and automation to factories to overcome sudden shortage of workers problem due to a huge demonstration held at that time. Although workers’ minimum wage was low, they had a breakthrough as local factories could not afford to suffer loss of production. Now it makes even more sense to automate especially as the minimum wage has since increased three folds, so robotic automation boosts productivity as well as provide cost efficiency.
The MTCDP Wave 9 Plan was shared followed by Interactive Sessions and Q&A before the end of the Programme. The event served as an opportunity to extend professional relationship and initiate greater collaboration for the benefit of fellow Malaysian Mid-Tier companies.
From left: Callum Chen (MCMTC), Datuk Mohd Mustafa Abdul Aziz (MATRADE), Azhar Hussin (Deloitte Consulting Southeast Asia), Abu Bakar Yusof (MATRADE)